Friday, June 21, 2013

Day 4: World Relief and Tears of Joy

Today was a bit special for me as we got to visit the World Relief staff in Phnom Penh for the first time and this occurred smack dab in the middle of their morning worship. Prior to this moment, my emotions were more or less off partly due to jet lag, reading ahead about Cambodia's painful history, and the sheer quantity of knowledge that was being shared to our team during our NGO visits. Somehow when we entered worship, everything about why we're having a missions trip in Cambodia and partnering with World Relief and Nathan/Priscilla became very real for me.

Although I had absolutely no idea what the staff was singing nor what the pastor (?) was preaching, once everyone started singing together in Cambodian AND English from Candace/Sherry, I truly felt like this place was a holy place filled with the love of God. There was so much passion for God in the room that I found myself tearing up a bit. Nathan introduced us to the staff and they told us to stand in a circle in the center so they can pray for us. As the staff simultaneously prayed over us, I again had no idea what they were saying, but then I realized they probably prayed the same prayers that we might pray - For God's love, strength, justice, grace, forgiveness, reconciliation, and joy to shine through in the faith and the work we accomplish over the next few days. I teared up again (whoops!)

Nathan then shared with us some of World Relief's values, which can be seen below - they're awesome!
Nathan gave us a presentation on how World Relief Cambodia works with local children, teens, and parents to educate and empower the local community via daycare, sex education/prevention, financial management, and more.

While Vermont & Alex were helping the IT guy downstairs, Candace, Sherry, and I tested and inventoried a bunch of cameras; I can safely say that we all have a greater appreciation for Inventory Management now haha.
We had probably 3 times this amount toward the end...
We had lunch at Daughters of Cambodia's lunch spot, Sugar & Spice and got a chance to worship in their prayer room (look at Victor's post). After relaxing (30 mins of swimming & 80 burpees in 6.5 mins in 85+ degree/humid weather), we had dinner at this awesome Indian restaurant with Nathan, Priscilla, Simon, and Jane and the food was AWESOME!


Finally, we dropped off at a sports bar to watch a rerun of the 4th quarter of the NBA finals lol (note huge screen & Candace lol)

No comments:

Post a Comment