Wednesday, June 5, 2013

The Long Road to Cambodia


Cambodia 2013 has been 4.5 years in the making for me.

When embarking upon my teaching career, one of my hopes was that I would be able to participate regularly in short-term missions during my summers off.  Soon after I first joined Great Exchange Fremont in 2008, the second Cambodia team from GRX was sharing about their experience from that year’s trip, but at the time I didn’t really have a personal connection with Cambodia.

As 2009 rolled around, I was burnt out from my first year teaching and decided on vacationing instead of missions.   Then 2010 came and went because I planned on getting a dog.  Finally, I was ready to consider going in 2011, but due to transitions within the church, Great Exchange Fremont didn’t send a team that year.  2012 came around and the trip fell after my school year would begin.  I remember telling one of our pastors, Victor, that I would go the next year if the trip fell in June.

By God’s timing, this year’s trip ended up falling (quite unexpectedly and at the very last minute) in June.  However, the decision to go was still a struggle.  The older I get the more responsibilities seem to tie me down: my house, my dog, family responsibilities, etc.  Additionally, I have wrestled with the questions about the value of short-term missions.  How much can really be done in two weeks?  Am I just trying to “take the easy way out” in terms of evangelism by going on a mission trip to feel good about myself rather than staying and reaching out to those around me here?  What if when I come back life just goes back to normal as if nothing happened?

So what made me finally decide to go?
11)    I couldn’t get past the whole God’s timing thing, and the fact that I had essentially promised to go if the trip fell in June.
22)    I received a mission support letter from my cousin Eric, who will be going to Rwanda this year for missions.  In his letter he talked about how time has flown by and he’s found that he’s gotten settled in his comfortable suburban lifestyle, but how God was calling him to go!  It reminded me of two things.  First, life is not going to get any less busy as I get older.  As a single woman, I have relatively little responsibility compared to my cousin, who is married with three kids.  It also reminded me of the desire God had put in my heart when I graduated and planned on doing missions during my summers off, and it reminded me that it’s been 7 years since I last went on a mission trip!
33)    One of my biggest fears is still that I will come back from this trip unchanged.  However, over the past 4.5 years, I have supported my friends who have gone to Cambodia each year through prayer and financial support.  Through hearing their stories my heart for the country has grown.  Supporting others has also given me to opportunity to see the impact that this trip has had on numerous lives.  Because of Cambodia missions, one of my small group members moved to Cambodia, one of my small group members embarked on a 1.5 year missions trip (she has since returned and is on our team again this year!), and several friends have gone back to Cambodia multiples times.  Additionally, Steep, the small group I currently attend was born from the first Cambodia trip in 2007.
44)    I truly believe in purpose of this trip.  During my time at Great Exchange I have seen my church’s relationship with Cambodia mature, which reminds me that this trip is more than just a two-week trip, it’s about growing a long-term relationship that has already been established over the past 6 years.  It is an exciting privilege to get to be a part of what God is doing in Cambodia, and to be a part of deepening the relationship between my church and our partners in Cambodia.

In short, God called, and I decided I better start listening.  Please continue to keep myself and the team in prayer!  Thanks for your support!

<3 Candace

No comments:

Post a Comment