Why am I going to Cambodia?
I've grown up in a Christian family and the churches that I've
been a part of have mostly been about teaching doctrine. While there have been mission trip
opportunities I never really thought about actually going always thinking that
I wasn't ready, there wasn't time, or some other excuse.
Fast-forwarding to 2012, still without having giving much
thought as to going to mission trips, I ended up in Fremont due to a job
opportunity that the Lord had provided for me.
Not knowing anybody in the area nor having a church that I was planning
on going to, I fell into a cycle of thinking that I’d find a church the next
week. Finally at the urgings of brothers
and sisters in LA to find a church I decided to take a look at GrX Fremont as
it was close and a sister from LA had told me about it.
After attending GrX Fremont for a few months, I found out
that they were planning a missions trip to Cambodia for two weeks. When I first found out about it, I thought
that it sounded interesting but didn't think that I had enough vacation days
accrued to take two weeks off so I didn't give it much thought. Wanting to learn more about what the church
was going to be doing in Cambodia, I attended an info-session about the trip
even though I wasn't planning on going.
During the info-session, Victor had brought up that the main
purpose of the trip was not to go and try to help the people there, but rather
to try to learn and to start building long term relationships with the
Cambodian staff already working there.
This was interesting to me as almost all the missions trips that I had
heard of were about going and doing things, such as building houses, teaching
vbs, or some other service to the people.
Still thinking that I didn't have enough vacation time accrued, I
didn't think about it too much after that.
After hearing a few people talk about possibly taking unpaid
time off for the missions trip, I thought that maybe I could do that and
decided to actually calculate how much time off I would be able to take by the
time it was time to go. To my surprise,
it turns out that I would have just enough to take the two weeks off! Once I found that out, I was still hesitant
as I wasn't sure if I was ready to go until I thought again on what Victor had
said during the info-session about going to learn and build relationships with
the staff there. I decided that I would
probably always have reasons to not go on missions and felt like God had
led me to this opportunity to go to Cambodia.
So here I am on the team and about to leave in just a couple
short weeks! Thanks for all your support
and please remember us in your prayers!
No comments:
Post a Comment